![]() |
| The (mighty?) Piper Seminole |
Last July the FAA changed the requirements for who was eligible to qualify for the ATP testing process. The change was the shove I needed to motivate myself to go through the process and earn the certificate. The new rules would require onerous and expensive ground and simulator training from an
I didn't have the funds to actually do the training or take the test. I calculated I'd need 10 hours of practice (I hadn't flown a piston twin for quite a while), plus another 2 hours for the flight test. I also had to take into account the written test fee ($100) and the Examiner fee ($500). In short, I was short... a few thousand dollars. Enter the tuition reimbursement program at work. I wrote a proposal, showing that the higher certificate might reduce our insurance premiums, that statistically ATP pilots had lower accident rates, and that safety experts agree that frequent and continuous training also makes for safer pilots. After some finagling and back-and-forth, my unconventional request was approved. No barriers or excuses now, it was up to me to get it done.
I studied for several weeks and passed my written test before the July rule change. I now had 2 years to take the checkride (oral and flight test). Getting the actual training in was a major struggle. We initially had maintenance problems with the plane. The instructor was always completely booked. I also continued to fly my corporate schedule, fly with my students, and do contract flights as well. When combining these elements with the Examiner's schedule, the pieces just felt impossible to bring together. After several stops and starts, weeks of delays, and lots of stress of the impending checkride hanging over my head, I finally completed the practice and scheduled the test for Dec 12, 2014.
I had taken a checkride (Multi-Engine Flight Instructor rating) with this same examiner several years ago. He is calm and quite soft-spoken. I think he really tries hard to put applicants at ease when entering this stressful and tense situation. I was still nervous, however. The ATP exam is challenging- the entire test is conducted under simulated bad weather with low ceilings and poor visibilities. Everything must be done using flight instruments, with no outside visual reference. We conduct multiple instrument approaches to runways with a failed engine. All maneuvers have little tolerance for error- the applicant must show they can fly with precision, emergency or not. We demonstrate steep turns, full engine shutdowns and restarts, holding procedures, attitude upset recoveries, and other emergencies not related to engine loss, to name a few. Before even getting to the plane, however, one must pass the oral exam portion, in which the Examiner quizzes the applicant about aircraft systems, icing, Federal Aviation Regulations, etc, etc, etc...
![]() |
| Instrument approach plate- essentially a map for landing safely in bad weather |
My test started early in the morning and after taking care of the application paperwork, we eased into the oral portion of the test. Things flowed smoothly and quickly. I worked hard to memorize all the details of the plane and could draw schematics of the hydraulic, fuel and electrical systems almost blindfolded. I think he could tell I had worked hard to prepare and as the correct answers flowed, the pace increased and the quizzing became less in-depth. By mid-morning we headed out to fly.
I'm already overly verbose, and most of the details of the flight would require too much explanation. I will say the gusting 30 MPH wind was an extra bit of difficultly I could've done without, though. Suffice it to say, I settled down, concentrated, and ended up methodically working my way through the maneuvers and challenges the Examiner put in front of me. Much like the oral exam, the extra complications eased throughout the ride as I maintained my composure and flew within tolerance. It was a great feeling to land back in South Valley knowing I'd passed. I drove home with a temporary certificate in my wallet, and a feeling of accomplishment that left me elated for days/weeks afterward.
![]() |
| Permanent certificate came in the mail a few days ago. Loved seeing Airline Transport Pilot! |



No comments:
Post a Comment