The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Pirate Porch

After last years awesome pirate-themed porch, I couldn't let the idea rest, and I certainly couldn't copy myself. So I spent the entire year thinking of ways we could pull off an even better porch, and because Teag is the sort of person who is incredibly patient (and he also secretly loves it), he helped me to pull it off. I ordered a ships wheel, and he created a mount, cutting the wood and staining it to match. He tied some rigging, and figured out how to secure. And most of all, he looked the other way when I spent more money than I should have on the whole thing. But the end result... magnificent.
It was so much fun to see it all come together, and even more so to surprise the kids with it. Every time I looked outside, I was happy to see the porch. And then... very early one morning, so stupid jerk came and stole the booty chest right off of our pirate's lap!
We'd talked about finding a way to secure it, but hadn't found a good solution. Everything in it was super cheap costume jewelry, but it was more the principle than anything. Especially because I'm sure they just chucked it in a gutter somewhere. I couldn't appreciate the irony of having my pirate porch robbed. I'll admit, it did take the shine off the whole thing a bit, but no one else messed with it, and we made sure everything else was secured really well.

Despite the thievery, I'm sure I'll come up with a new idea for next year. I'm thinking something with a gallows...

No comments: