The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kayak Spelled Backwards is Kayak

This past weekend we again headed up to the property to take advantage of the somewhat nice weather, and several inflatable kayaks my brother has recently purchased.
One group had already run the river before us, and by the time it was our turn, some pretty gray clouds had rolled in. Still, we figured we were going to get wet from the bottom, what did a little rain on top matter? And we certainly got a little rain, and then some. You can see it in this picture:
I've been canoeing a fair bit, mostly when I was younger, but neither Teag or I have ever kayaked. The Price River is pretty mild, with just a few patches of "white water", (at least in the section we ran), and we figured it was as good a place as any to try out our skills.
Here's me on one of my many attempts to stop myself from heading into the bank. About halfway down our run, I finally started to get the hang of it, and actually managed to steer fairly well. Oddly enough, I found I did better in the rapids than in the slower parts, but I have no pictures to prove it, for fear of losing my camera in the drink. Teag caught on faster than I did, and often grabbed the end of my kayak when I got banked in a shallow part of the river.
Two of our nephews came along for the ride and really seemed to enjoy themselves, but as they weren't paddling, things got a little chilly up front.
For a first experience, both Teag and I thought it was extremely fun, and are eager to try it again. I hope we get another opportunity to take them out this summer. Not bad as an upper-body workout, either!

No comments: