Because after literally traipsing over the river and through the woods, any half-decent tree was starting to look fabulous. All the early snowfall this year meant the road by which we usually travel to cut our trees down was unplowed, therefore compromising our ability to make it to our regular spot. The place we ended up was not ideal for tree-cutting. Here's Teag sizing up potential Christmas trees:
Just kidding. I think the Forest Service would have something to say about that. Oh, did I mention that I was carrying 25 pounds of baby on my back as we waded through thigh-high (at least on me) snow?
Needless to say, it was quite the adventure. This year the older girls didn't follow us, and hung back with the cousins around a portable fire. Probably for the best, as we may have lost Dany entirely in one of the deeper drifts :)
By the end of the day, Rory was completely tuckered out. I've never seen her fall asleep in her car seat before.
The older girls had a great time, except for being a little chilly, but their favorite part came a few nights later, when we decorated.
I love this, it's one of my favorite holiday traditions, from start to finish. That includes waking up long before the roosters to get the tree permit up in Heber, hiking through the snow (or mud, depending on the year) to find that perfect tree, and then watching how excited the kids get to hang the ornaments. A perfect way to welcome the holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment