The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Friday, April 22, 2011

Home At Last

View of my cup holder in the Pilatus
The long journey is finally over. I tried to convey that I was relating my travelogue from past events, when in fact, I was on the road throughout it. For those that don't know, I was gone for nearly a full month, flying my boss around on a book tour all over the US and Canada. I tried not to advertise that I was not home for this extended period of time for obvious security reasons.

A self portrait. Need to enlarge it?
The last legs of my journey were Winnipeg, Denver, and finally Salt Lake City. I already mentioned Winnipeg in my last post, and to be honest, there's nothing much to write about Denver. I thought about maybe seeing the US Mint, but you have to schedule an appointment, and they were booked solidly for the next two weeks. Go figure. Ree and I spent a full day a couple of summers ago looking for things to do in Denver, and not coming up with a lot of options. And people say SLC is uninteresting...

It was wonderful to finally be home after being away so long. Kerri and the girls even had a "Welcome Home" banner and balloons waiting for me in the living room. I missed all of my girls so much!

Thank you to everyone who helped Ree in my absence. I know many pitched in to help give her a break by watching kids, taking Dany to preschool, going to dinner, etc, etc. I am truly grateful for all of the support over these last few weeks. It's a tough challenge to suddenly be thrown into being a single mother, and I feel indebted to those who stepped up to help, almost always without being asked.

Ree, I owe you the biggest thanks of all. I know all the travel is not an easy part of my job, but without you I couldn't do what I love to do. Thankfully for both of us, this will probably never happen again, but being apart for this long made me appreciate you as my truest friend and confidant. I missed you more than you will probably ever know. I also recognize to a larger extent all that you do for me and our little family. Thank you!

The plane's in the hangar for now, but I'm sure it won't last long. Until next time...

No comments: