That's Dany's new nickname, courtesy of her most recent trip to the hospital. I mean, the kid's only four, and she's been to the hospital five times, not including the day she was born.
This most recent trip was due to a playground injury. Dany fell off some monkey bars while Maisie was trying to "help" by holding her feet. So instead of dropping to her feet and maybe escaping with a scrape or two, she fell flat on her butt. I figured she'd just had the wind knocked out of her, but she wasn't really recovering, and her face had visibly paled despite the heat. She was also in obvious pain, and her breathing was shallow. Despite where she'd landed, it was her upper back that was hurting her. Preferring to be safe rather than sorry, I took her to the Instacare, where they took several x-rays, gave her some ibuprofen and a thorough exam, then sent us on our way when they couldn't really see anything on the films. We stopped at my mom's house to pick up the other kids, and hung out for awhile why I waited for Rory to wake up. I got home around four, to three missed calls and a voicemail from the doctor, and the phone rang again right as I walked in the door. Turns out the radiologist had seen something on the films, and they wanted more pictures. So we headed back to the Instacare, took more x-rays, and did a whole lot of waiting.
Once they'd had time to study the films, they called up to Primary's and informed them of the situation, and Primary's recommended we head up there. Of course. We arrived around six, and were thankfully shown to a room quickly. They wanted some more x-rays done to get a better picture of her back. We did a lot of waiting while a bunch of specialists supposedly were studying her films, and poor Dany was starving because she hadn't really been allowed to eat anything, just in case they needed to do some procedure. Finally we got some answers, but sadly not much more than what we already knew.
Her diagnosis: compression fractures in her thoracic spine.
Treatment: not much.
We basically have to keep her from running, jumping, or dancing for the next week or so. When my sister-in-law heard that she said, "Have they met Dany?" Tell me about it. Maybe I should try and hold back the tide while I'm at it. Not to mention, Teag's Lagoon Day for his work is this Saturday, and there's barely anything we feel safe letting her ride. I'm sure that's going to go over well.
No pictures for this post. Too depressing.
1 comment:
Poor girl. That is so sad. Maybe you should consider some bubble wrap and a padded room??
Post a Comment