The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pop-a-Wheeler Farm

As long as I've lived in Utah (my whole life), I've never been to Wheeler Farm, and when my sister-in-law, Katie, suggested we take the kids, I didn't really know what to expect. The weather was beautiful, and the kids were eager, so we hauled all ten grand-kids to this "working farm". Admission is free, but you can pay for a little tractor ride and some duck feed, or as my kids call it "a bag of wheat". Armed with said duck feed, the first place we headed was the large pond full of overfed ducks who were patient enough to let all the kids pelt them with wheat kernels.

Next we moved on to some of the other animal pens. Rory was completely fascinated with the Roosters, and even tried to share her sippy cup with one of them.
After that we saw some horses that were getting a bath at the time. The first thing Rory said when she saw them was "Moooo!", so perhaps we need to keep working on our animal sounds :). Apparently a baby calf had been born the previous Friday, so that was our next stop.
Then we headed over for the tractor ride. I think the kids were more interested in the idea of it than the actual execution; nobody was too wowed by it, it seemed.
Speaking of tractors, there were all sorts of farm implements around and we tried to get all the grand-kids together on a big yellow tractor to take a picture, but we couldn't make it work. So I snuck one with just my kids.
We saw some more animals, including this baby goat who'd somehow managed to climb into the feed trough.
Then we wandered over to this really cool gnarly, old tree. The kids had a blast climbing on it, and despite our lack of success with the tractor, we decided to try for another group picture.
After that it was getting to be nap time, so we began to make our way back to the cars. As we walked, Rory came upon a goose, and must have thought it would be as fun to play with as the Rooster was earlier, because she made a beeline towards it. Dany ran after her to try and pet it too, and that mean little bird nearly took a bite out of her!
I had the camera ready for a photo-op, so I managed to capture it. Thankfully everyone managed to escape unscathed.

The kids all had a really good time, and especially given the free admission, it made a great little field trip. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good kid activity.

No comments: