The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Plague

I'm sure you remember me talking about getting sick with the flu twice in a month a few posts ago? Well there's a new epidemic at the Bayly house. Or maybe it's the same one, and it affects the kids differently, I don't know. Either way, it sucks.

It started with Finn. He had a fever that wouldn't go away, and by the time we reached day five, it was clear he needed to be seen by a doctor. This happened to be Sunday, and Teag was also out of town. My mom took the girls to church while I took Finn to an Instacare, and spent the next four hours comforting him while he was poked, and suctioned, and X-Rayed. It took no time at all for them to assess that he was one sick little dude, but it took a really long time to determine what he was sick with. He finally fell asleep on me, traumatized and exhausted.
They ruled out RSV, which I didn't even think was possible in our family, and determined it to be pneumonia. He was given a dose of antibiotics before we even left the clinic, and a prescription for more. My mom still had the girls, so I drove to her house to pick them up, only to discover that Rory was running a fever and hadn't done much more than lay down and cough since my mom had brought her home early from church.
The poor kid just lays there, she's too tired to stand
We waited a few days to see if she'd improve on her own. No such luck. After a Monday and Tuesday filled with barely moving except to cough like a barking seal, Teag took her to the doctor. Same tests. Same diagnosis. The doctor even compared her and Finn's chest X-Ray's and said they were practically identical.
So we've got her on antibiotics now, but were warned that it's very contagious. We kinda figured but it's been confirmed. Sincerely hoping that Maisie and Dany manage to escape this particular plague. Not sure what this will mean for me either, since I was the only caregiver during most of these illnesses. I can't afford to get sick again.

Rough, rough winter for the Bayly's!

No comments: