The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, June 2, 2014

Forty Freakin' Years!

My parents just recently celebrated their 40th anniversary. Forty years! That is an amazing accomplishment, and I must say that they are absolutely the example that I most look up to. My parents had a rather unconventional beginning, but they beat about every odd out there and are still going strong.
I've learned so much about patience, communication, kindness and the importance of laughter in a marriage. I've learned sometimes it's necessary to light a fire under your spouse, as long as you understand that it's a two-way street. I've come to understand that the best marriages are ones where you put your spouse first, and try to think of their needs above your own. I've learned that marriage is work, but valuable work; beyond price. I've learned that there are two sides to every story, and rarely is just one person to blame when something is amiss. I've learned that it's important to recognize that there is more than one right way to do something, and that working together accomplishes so much more than working against each other. All this, and much much more, I've learned from my parents.

I am in awe of them, and what they have accomplished. I pray that when Teag and I hit the 40 year mark, we'll look back and be half as amazing as these two. Thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, for what you have done for us, Mom and Dad. I love you like crazy.

No comments: