Everyone always talks about how boys are so much different than girls; hormones, dirtiness, ease of parenting, etc. Even personalities were supposed to be quite drastically different. I don't think I really bought into that until I had a boy myself. I noticed quickly that he eschewed all things "girly" in favor of trucks, and planes and "struction" vehicles. But it's only just recently that we've begun to notice some of the more obvious differences in parenting a child of the male persuasion.
While our girls weren't perfect angels, we never discovered entire boxes of Cheerios stashed under their beds.
We never had to repeatedly clean up toothpaste messes from them when they decided to smear themselves and any nearby furniture with a pilfered tube of Kid's Crest. On several occasions.
We never had to clean up not one, but two spilled bottles of essential oils that were so sneakily confiscated and liberally sprinkled around their bedroom.
We also never had a child his age successfully wield a pair of scissors to open an ill-gotten Nutrigrain bar.
We never cleaned up half a bottle of baby shampoo off a bed, a brand new bottle, whose foil seal had been impressively punctured by one determined little mister.
And we've never went into a bedroom to check on a little one sleeping, only to find half an orange Tootsie roll, (paper still attached, so I guess he wasn't wily enough to get that off), stuck to the pillow beside his head. A Tootsie roll that had to have been sneaked into that bedroom sometime after he was put to bed.
Yes, we've never done any of those things. And I have a feeling there will be many more never-dones before we're done. Or perhaps we should call them, Finnanigans.
No comments:
Post a Comment