The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, June 9, 2008

Camping With the Extended Bayleaves


This past weekend we drove to exotic Mantua to enjoy a weekend of camping with Teag's family. Though the forecast looked bleak, we channeled our pioneer ancestors and toughed it out with the help of extra layers and an almost continuously burning fire.

Maisie became especially attached to Teag's sister Tiffany's chihuahua and held her whenever she had the opportunity. I've never seen Maisie sit in one place so quietly for so long, it was incredible. All the kids explored the surrounding area, climbed in hollowed out trees, and played all sorts of games. And other than being body-checked while playing kick ball, Maisie had a great time playing with the cousins.

On Saturday, our brother-in-law Kris pulled out his 4-wheelers, and I decided to try one out. I've never been on a 4-wheeler before, and despite my reservations, I had a great time! Teag and I drove all around the dirt roads and up the mountain, which looked especially beautiful covered in blooming goldenrod. I think I've got the bug now, though I don't have the $$$.

After riding, we set up a net in an open field and had a great time playing volleyball, with most the adults and cousins joining in. I love to play, but my skills are severely lacking. Teag helped us win one of our two games with his awesome overhanded serve.

Dany loved being able to explore an entirely new place with very little restriction. She got very dirty, but she had a lot of fun, as you can see from her giant grin in just about every picture we took. I especially love this picture where Teag is tossing her up in the air, but she's grinning at me with a piece of licorice in one hand. She played hard, but naps were especially difficult to arrange with so many distractions around. Saturday afternoon we laid her down in the tent, and after unpacking everyone's bags to explore their contents, she promptly fell asleep in the door of the tent.

We had a really nice weekend overall, and were grateful for the chance to get away for a few days, and build some memories with our kids.

2 comments:

Meg Rogers said...

Glad you had such a great time. Good thing you didn't wuss out due to a cool forecast! Now I'm jonesing to get to the property and have our own family reunion. Cute pictures!

Justin, Catherine, Brayden and Peyton Andrews said...

Hi kerri,
I love your blog! It is so fun to see all the pictures of you and your family. Maisie is such a spitting image of you I can't even belive it. It takes me back a few years when you were that little. It looks like you had a great time. Thanks for keeping in touch.