The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Saturday, June 14, 2008

REJECTED!!!


As several of you know, I submitted my first query letter for my book a few weeks ago. Well, today I received my first rejection letter. It's a stage all authors go through, so I'm told. Everyone has heard how even J.K. Rowling's first manuscript was thrown into several slush piles before Harry Potter made it to print. But there's always that tiny little hope inside you that your books is just that good. No rejection for me!

Alas, reality is a cold, cruel mistress. I will say that the letter was very nicely worded, not unnecessarily harsh. But the underlying message of "We don't want you," is still a bitter pill. But will I let it get me down, you ask? Not me! I have five more queries I plan to send out this week. Here's hoping at least one will yield some interest, and eventually, some representation.

Fingers crossed! (And maybe a few extra prayers too.)

2 comments:

Nelee said...

Well they don't know what they are missing! It's hard when they don't read the whole book. No wonder they said no! You are right though, just keep trying. Someone will pick it up. It's too good not to pick up.

Meg Rogers said...

Ree, keep sending them out. Just think, if the first publisher said yes, it would be that much less satisfying than if you get rejected a few times first. Right?

Probably not, but it sounds good. Hee-hee. Had fun playing cards tonight with you.