The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, July 21, 2008

My kids are geniuses... or something

Every mom has those times when you feel proud of something your child has learned or done; something that makes you feel like your efforts aren't being wasted. Teag and I have had a few of those lately.

Since Maisie was about 3 1/2 she's shown a substantial interest in learning to read. We encouraged her, and answered any questions she asked us, but we didn't do a whole lot to teach her. She picked up most of it herself. By the time she turned four, she was doing basic reading, and six months later, she's fully reading by herself. It's been amazing to watch; especially when you consider the English language and wonder how in the world anyone ever learns to read when you're inundated with "silent k's", "g and h together sometimes say 'f'", etc. And don't get me started on vowel sounds! Now, to our extreme surprise and pleasure, Maisie has started writing her own stories. I must admit, it feels like a bit of an homage to me, since she's always asking me about my story when I'm writing. Anyway, I'd like to share some of these little gems. Hopefully, you'll find them as entertaining (and heartwarming) as we did.

Pretty self explanatory, isn't it? Be good to God, and you get good food, got it. Simple and straightforward. This one was written during church, I might add. Not hard to see where the inspiration came from. Next: I'd much rather read this than, "My Mom got mad at me today," or "I hate my little sister." I'm grateful that these are her sentiments now, though I'm sure it won't always be the case. And finally:
I don't know about you, but I didn't see that twist coming, there at the the end. Suspenseful.

There are several more stories I don't have enough room to post here. I hope she keeps writing them, and who knows? Maybe one day she'll get paid for all that creativity :)

Then of course, there's Danyn. Such a sweet little thing, who by all accounts, has had a rough go so far. But has that affected her development? Certainly not! Take, for example, the ingenius way in which she attempts to eat her corn:Forks are for the small-minded! Over-sized implements are all the rage! Well, at least for a brief moment. After awhile, she switched to something much less unwieldy.
I'm always surprised to see what new entertainments my kids will provide me with. I hope they never stop.

No comments: