The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, July 28, 2008

Propiddy: Part Two

This past weekend I had to flex my independent camping muscles. Teag had to pick up his boss's wife in Lake Powell on Saturday night, so he packed us up Friday morning and flew off, leaving me and Dany to drive ourselves to Argyle Canyon alone. Teag would fly to Price with Maisie, leaving the plane there for a few days so he could camp with us until he had to leave Saturday afternoon.

Dany and I made the trip safely and without incident, other than being flipped off by a passing driver for no explicable reason, and a run-in with a suicidal squirrel. Teag then spent the majority of his time there helping the Rogers' men construct a bowery. They made a lot of progress in that 24 hours, and by late Saturday night, almost one half of the bowery had a tarpaper covered roof on it.

The girls are both very familiar with the area now, and are comfortable wandering up and down the paths, having adventures, and creating new games to play. One of the most entertaining things that Maisie and Henry did was to plant a "garden" outside of the little plastic house. They dug up dirt, picked the heads off of wild flowers, and planted them. Then they applied large amounts of water so that their plants would be sure to grow. It was incredibly cute, and pretty creative too! They also spent a fair amount of time coloring in Kev & Meg's trailer, as well as swinging in the hammock.

As for Dany, well, let's just say I've never seen a kid get so filthy so fast. She was in a constant state of dirty. And, much to my alarm, if you left her alone for too long, she'd inevitably wander up to where all the menfolk were working with power-tools, and heavy lumber. She seemed to be pretty fascinated with the whole process. After two days of wandering through the dirt, Grandma decided Rooster needed a bath in her trailer. Dany didn't seem to like the idea much, and was rather traumatized by the whole experience.

And just for Katie and Meg's sake, I must note that I played an awesome game of dominoes, killing them with a total score of 39 points! Is it sad if that's the highlight of my trip? :)

I dropped Teag off in Price on Saturday evening, where he dodged thunderstorms as he flew off to Powell. That night I packed us up as much as I could, and all us girls slept in my parents trailer, so as to get an early start Sunday morning. Little did I know that Teag was at home, suffering from a nasty stomach bug that manifested itself shortly after he returned from the airport. Unluckily, I managed to catch it as well, and we both spent the majority of Sunday feeling achy and icky. The last part of our trip may not have ended up as planned, but overall it was fun.

We have at least one more Propiddy trip planned for September, this time with Uncle Matie!

No comments: