The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

All Aboard!


This past Saturday, Teag and I took the girls for a train ride aboard the Heber Valley Creeper. Teag's mom had given us a couple of voucher's she'd won in a raffle, so the cost was minimal, and the girls were excited for a new adventure. We loaded the kids up early Saturday morning, and we were off, sunglasses and all!

When we arrived at the rail yard, there were a bunch of old and broken down trains on the grounds. It kind of looked like a train graveyard. Made for a good photo op though:

The train ride was set to last about two hours, and took us around parts of town, and the big lake nearby. The girls were excited to board and be able to look out the big windows. Maisie was very anxious for the train to start moving, and Dany kept entertaining us with "Chugga chugga, beep beep!"

After we started moving, I figured out why the train is called "The Creeper". It felt like I could have jogged faster than the train was moving. But before long we were watching ice-fishermen out on the not-so-frozen looking ice. The girls were happy that the fishermen would wave back when they waved to them.

It didn't take very long for the girls to get bored with looking out the window, so Teag and I decided to take them to the open-air car, to see how they liked that. We figured they'd get too chilly, and wouldn't want to stay, but boy were we wrong! Dany especially seemed to love it, and had a huge grin on her face with the wind in her hair.



The train took us out for about an hour, then the engine disconnected, went to a place it could switch tracks, and reattached to the other end of our train so it could pull us home. Both Teag and I were slightly disappointed that we didn't cover more ground in our two hours, but it was a fun and different little adventure for our family.


It's amazing to think that this was once the main mode of transportation for people. Teag jokingly said that maybe one day parents will take their kids for a ride "in a real live car!"

3 comments:

Jen and Brent said...

How fun! Good memories for your kids! You guys are such a cute family!

Amy Jo said...

I saw that you had a blog through someone elses blog, and I thought I would drop you a line! It looks like you had a lot of fun on the Heber Creeper! I have always wanted to do that, especially around Halloween when they have a haunted train, and around Christmas when they make it a Polar Express! =)

Nelee said...

I've been on the Heber Creeper and you are right, it is super duper slow. I love the photo of Dany living it up in the wind. Your girls are so beautiful!