I should have kept my mouth/fingers shut.
The very day I typed my last post ─ the post that said that my top goal of 2010 was to stay out of the hospital ─ Rory was admitted to Primary Children's. I rang in the New Year in a hospital room by myself, with a sick little baby who looked absolutely miserable, was pale as a ghost, and more tired than when she was a newborn. I literally started the new year in the hospital of which I had hoped so much to avoid for at least the next 365 days.
Rory, of course, had RSV. Just as Maisie had given it to Dany when she was 2 weeks old, Dany had given it to her little sister. We like to share in our family.
We had taken Rory to the doctor Wednesday morning, and he said that her lungs were clear, for now, but that we'd need to watch her close the next few days. Thursday she was hardly eating, had had a fever for five days, and basically slept the entire day so we worried her condition had worsened. With much trepidation, we headed into the ER at Primary's.
We were relieved to hear that her lungs sounded clear, and at first the only thing they considered problematic was her cough; they thought it sounded croupy. They took a chest X-Ray to make sure there was no pneumonia, and even that looked clear. They gave her a dose of steroids to help with the croup, then said they'd like to monitor her for awhile to check out her sats. Low and behold, after falling into a deep sleep, she dropped to the low 80's, and the doctors weren't happy. Eerily reminiscent of Dany's experience.
This is a picture of Rory on her first night. Rory hates being bundled usually, but she was so exhausted, I don't think she cared at this point.
She played with her rings:
And even played a little peek-a-boo:
Last night there was a little concern about her heart rate dropping, but she rallied nicely, and they agreed to let us bring her home on oxygen. Here she is in her "going home" clothes :)
After being to the hospital twice with two kids in less than a week, I think I'm going to make all my kids walk around like this:
Happy New Year, I guess.
2 comments:
You are making me not want to come to Utah next week! RSV is scary! I'm sorry you have had so many problems with it! Glad to hear Rory is home and hopefully feeling much better.
Oh my goodness! I just wrote the dumbest post about Camberley being sick and she has nothing compared to Rory! I am so sorry to hear that she was in the hospital! Is she out now? Is she okay? I need to call you. We need to get back in touch. I've needed you so much the past few months and dumb me hasn't emailed. I will call you.
Post a Comment