The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Friday, February 12, 2010

Birthday Girls

For those of you who don't know, my two oldest daughters have birthdays within a week of each other.  When I was pregnant, I prayed that Danyn wouldn't be born on Maisie's birthday, so they could each have their own special day.  Now as time passes, I realize it's still pretty hard to ensure that they each get something fun, at least at this age.  Too many comparisons are drawn, as the remnants of the first birthday cake are still lingering by the time the second is baked.  But still, we try.

Maisie's birthday was first.  She turned six this year, our big six year old.  Seeing as how her "girly Lego's" were such a hit for Christmas, Teag and I decided to buy her some more.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really seem as though there are many Lego's made for girls, so we went with Pirates instead.  Instant hit.
 
  
Maisie also had a present that was shaped like a big cylinder, and Teag told her we'd bought oatmeal for her birthday.  Funnily enough, she didn't seem all that disappointed.  She was just mad that he'd ruined the surprise.  The "oatmeal" was actually TinkerToys.

 
Grandma and Grandpa Rogers came over to celebrate with us and shared Maisie's chosen birthday dinner of Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, and corn.  What six year old picks that?  Grandpa read stories with the girls while they waited for dinner to be ready.
Maisie was also excited to receive some Shrinky Dinks from Grandma and Grandpa, as you can see.
 
After dinner, we had Maisie's specially requested birthday cake.


Maisie talked for days about how great her birthday was.  The kids at school all made her birthdays cards, and she got to wear a birthday crown.  She got her favorite dinner, and presents she loved; it was a good day.

Six days later, it was Dany's turn.  Dany had requested a pink cake, and my mom had given me the idea of doing a carousel.  Dany wanted to help me make it, but I wanted it to be a surprise, so we settled for letting her help me with the cake part.  I have an especially cute video of it, but it won't post.  Not sure why.

 
For her special birthday dinner, Dany requested pizza, breadsticks, and broccoli.  Yes, broccoli.  I must be doing something right.  Once again, Grandma and Grandpa Rogers came over to celebrate.  Dany got a Magnadoodle from them which she played with right away.
 
As well as some Playdoh stuff.

 
But the best part came when she opened one of the two Leapster games we got her, only to have her get an unhappy look on her face and say, "I don't like Wall-E".

 
Gotta love hearing that as a parent.  But she's warmed up to the game quite a bit in the subsequent days.  Then we brought out her special cake.

 
And celebrated our second daughter turning three.  

 
Unfortunately, Dany got diagnosed with strep throat the day before, so she was pretty mellow for the whole celebration.  Sick on her birthday, two years in a row!  But she was in good spirits and had a good time.  I think she played with her Playdoh for a good hour after she ate her cake.
Happy birthday to both my beautiful girls!

No comments: