So for several months now, Teag and I noticed we were having to repeat ourselves frequently when speaking to Danyn; and even then it was becoming more and more clear that she wasn't hearing us. We realized that we were more and more having to shout just to get a response from her, which would often make her think she was in trouble. Not a terribly good situation all the way around.
We decided to have her hearing tested, and got her in at the first available appointment. After failing two of her four tests, it became pretty obvious that she was, in fact, experiencing hearing loss. The likely diagnosis: middle ear fluid. The audiologist recommended we see an ENT, and I scheduled the appointment right away. The ENT checked her test results and did a quick exam and almost immediately recommended tubes. I was completely on board, as the only other solution was to "wait and see". It had been going on for long enough that it was obvious time alone wasn't going to help anything.
Just a few short days later, I was checking Dany into Primary's, our favorite place. Sadly, Dany seemed to recognize the building, but the only thing she asked was if she was going to have a shot. Thankfully there was no need, and she seemed completely unfazed for the rest of our time there.
After taking some quick vitals, they had her change into some hospital clothes. The itchy gown seemed to be her biggest concern. While we waited in pre-op, volunteers brought in crafts to help pass the time. Dany had a lot of fun putting together an octopus monster.
She also spent time checking out all the new toys, walking around like she owned the place.
And shortly before our scheduled surgery time, a nurse showed up with some "hospital dolls", who are wearing gowns as well. Dany became attached to her doll very quickly, and asked me to help draw a face and hair on it. They even allowed it to accompany her into surgery.
I couldn't help feeling a little nervous, but the entire procedure took barely ten minutes. Before I knew it, I was being escorted back to her bed in post-op, where she was already coming out of anesthesia. She looked a little dazed, but otherwise fine, and before I could even ask her she said, "Hey Mom, I can hear you better."
We've noticed a marked difference in her hearing since yesterday, and Teag and I both are feeling relieved that it was something so easily fixable. I don't mind hospital visits like this one :).
1 comment:
What a little trooper! That is so cute that the hospital gives them little dolls to go to surgery with.
I am so happy everything went well.
Post a Comment