Maisie's teacher, in what must have been a temporary fit of insanity, told her first grade class about how some poachers would kill monkey's for food, and cut off their hands to use for decorations. Who does that? Why would a bunch of 6-7 year-olds need that information? Ever since then, Maisie has been obsessed with saving the chimpanzees. She created a survey, and asked her fellow students to sign it. One side said "I want to save the chimpanzees", and the other side said, "I don't want to save the chimpanzees". Not surprisingly, no one signed the "I don't want to save the chimpanzees" side. When we asked her what she planned to do with the survey, she said she wanted to send it to Jane Goodall. I can just see the letter now:
Dear Miss Goodall,
All of the first-graders at my school want to save the chimpanzees. Just thought you should know.
Maisie
She didn't stop there though. She checked out books about all sorts of primates from the library, and created a very informational poster to stir interest in her cause.
Yes, that is a hunter shooting a monkey out of a tree with a smile on his face, and a dead, bleeding monkey next to a surprisingly happy Jane Goodall. Creative, if a little disturbing. Later on I found an envelope addressed to Jane Goodall in her backpack. I didn't open it, because I didn't want to encroach on her privacy, but I must say that I was extremely curious as to it's contents.
Ahh, my little activist.

No comments:
Post a Comment