The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, August 15, 2011

New Glasses

From the time that Maisie first got her glasses two years ago her eyesight has continued to deteriorate, and it became clear that she needed a new pair to help her see better. This worked out well, as she'd outgrown her current pair and needed new frames anyway.

I decided it was about time for me to get some as well, given the fact that mine were going on something like ten years, and didn't sit straight on my face courtesy of my lovely children bending the crap out of the earpieces. So I made an appointment for both of us, and off we went to the optometrist.

Despite how truly awful my vision is, at least it hasn't gotten any worse, but sadly Maisie's had gotten much worse in the last two years. We'd figured as much, but I was quite shocked to see the evidence in front of me. Anyway, we finished the appointment and headed to the store to try on frames. For the most part, I have no problem with letting my kids pick out their own stuff, but I do try and guide them towards something that they'll still like a year or two from now. Finally we each settled on a pair, and as I'm discussing prices with the saleslady, I'm dismayed to discover that due to both of our horrendous deficiencies, we had to pay extra for the prescription, and then extra again to have them file it down so we don't look like we're wearing coke bottles! So, to the tune of $500, here are mine and Maisie's new glasses.
Funny how similar our tastes are; we both chose squarish, brown plastic frames. In the week since we picked them up, Maisie has lost them twice, and managed to bend both earpieces when she tripped while hanging the glasses from the neck of her shirt. She has now been threatened, on pain of death, to take better care of them, or foot the bill for a replacement pair herself.

No comments: