The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, it's the Roger's tradition to go tree hunting. We've been doing this for years, since before Maisie was born, and it's one of my most favorite things we do for Christmas, even though it most likely costs us more in the long run than buying one from a lot. But you can't put a price on memories!

This year, the weather was gorgeous, and there was plenty of snow for the kids to play in.



They all decided to hang back and play while the menfolk (and me), went off in search of the perfect tree. It took a little more searching this year, and through some fairly deep drifts for someone as short as me, but we finally found what we were looking for.
Here's a pic of Teag about to cut it down after I thanked it for honoring our family by sacrificing itself to decorate our house for a month. Cheesy I know, but it makes me a little bit sad to cut down a perfectly healthy tree, and I felt it deserved some praise.

When we made the trek back, we found the other adults had discovered an effective way of corralling the little ones.
They didn't seem to mind. And the girls all seemed to approve of our tree selection.
Apparently we exhausted our kids, and the ride home was just too much for Rory.

A few nights later, we had it lit and ready to decorate. Teag went out of town for a few days, and the girls had to wait to hang ornaments. I thought I was going to go crazy listening to them ask how much longer until they could decorate; but at least I know it's something they really enjoy.

And here it is, the finished product. With a couple of monkeys in front of it.
Tis the season!

No comments: