The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February Catch Up

I've neglected doing my blog posting for most of February, so I figured March was as good a time as any to catch up :). First off, Valentine's Day. I've heard a couple of people talk about how, rather than celebrating it solely with their spouse, they use it as an opportunity to show their whole family some love. I thought this was such a fantastic idea, and decided to do it for our family. I spent a few hours the night before making some heart-shaped garlands, and hung them from the fan in the kitchen before the girls woke up the next morning. They were instantly noticed, and commented on, as well as Teag's heart-shaped box of chocolates, and Valentine note he left for each of them. That night, I made a special dinner for everyone, and decorated the table all fancy.

The girls loved the candles and drinking sparkling cider out of champagne flutes. Part of me had really questioned how worth it it was really going to be, but their reactions were wholly gratifying. I think this will be the start of a really fun tradition.

Next up, Rory officially turned 2 1/2 on the 20th of this month, and I thought I'd post a few of her funny recent moments. It's amazing to me how her little mind works when she's left to her own devices to play. The Dora figures that she got for Christmas have been an endless source of entertainment for her, and us by extension. The other day she set out all the shapes from her sorter in a line, topped each one with a character, and made a train.
This kid loves trains, and is always making train noises. I thought it was quite creative of her. Another of her favorite past-times is dressing up. Whether it's actual dress up clothes, or whatever she manages to improvise, she's always trying something on. In this pic, it just happens to be Dad's shoes.
She clomped around the entire house in those things, and you could tell she thought it was the funniest thing ever. Lastly, she's really showed us how intelligent she is with her use of technology. I had downloaded an app on my iPad for her that had shape guessing games, and not only did she figure out how to use that quickly, she figured out my whole iPad. She knows how to turn it on, how to navigate the screens to find which game she wants, and then how to play the games themselves.
And she's so nonchalant about it, check out the leg crossed over the knee :). Her vocabulary has improved drastically in just the past few months as well, she speaks in full sentences, and very easily makes herself understood. There are a few words that still need a little work though, like musegik (music), fixk it (fix it), or bressest (breakfast). Still, I love all her versions. It almost makes me sad when she starts pronouncing it right, as that means she's growing up.

Last but not least, I hit my 26 week mark and wanted to post a picture for posterity.
I'm starting to really believe what people say about carrying your babies differently, based on gender. Where is this kid hiding?

All in all, we had a pretty mellow February. I have to say, sometimes those are the best kind of months :).

1 comment:

Michele said...

How cute are you? I love the fancy Valentine's table with homemade garland. I am all about the stay-at-home family Valentine's dinner. It's so not worth going and waiting 2 hours at a restaurant anymore.

You have the cutest baby bump. You're seriously so tiny. :)