The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Making Progress

Things continue to be quite eventful at our house these days. I am completely shocked at what my kids will sleep through during the day, but I count myself grateful that I'm not dealing with over-tired children amongst all the other chaos. As of today, we have two big new windows, all the framing, HVAC, plumbing, and electrical are completed, and insulation and sheet-rock should be going up next week.
Maisie's New Room

Dany & Rory's Room
West Facing View of New Family Room

East Facing View of New Family Room
I wish I could say that the whole process has run smoothly, and that we're getting exactly what we want, but I'm afraid it hasn't worked our that way. We've had to make a lot of concessions we didn't realize going into it, but I'm determined to make the best of it. It's not as we originally thought it would be, but I think it will definitely serve our needs, and hopefully serve them well. And if nothing else, it's going to be all new and fresh and clean. That alone makes me happier than I can say.

Thanks to Teag's hard work, another project has now been completed. After a few days of weeding, tilling, and preparing the soil, our vegetable and flower gardens are now planted! I love having a garden. Nothing beats eating a tomato right off the vine, still warm from the sun, or a cucumber that isn't coated with that waxy sort of substance all grocery store cucumbers seem to come with. Fresh salsa, zucchini and squash, mmm. I love it.

Since I am nearly at my due date, and bending over has become much trickier these days, Teag recruited some other little helpers to assist him in getting the job done.



I applaud his patience, as oftentimes having the younger ones "help" ends up creating more work, but I think it's important to teach your kids the value of hard work early, and also give them some ownership in something they benefit from all year long.


It's nice to see progress being made, feeling like things are being checked off the list and put into place. I have a week until my due date, and though I wish our basement would be finished before Bilbo arrived, I know it's coming along and this will be only a temporary inconvenience.

I can't wait to get to that place where all the hassle is out of the way, and you start to feel like it's all been worth it. :)

No comments: