The kids were out early that day from school, so it seemed like the perfect time. However, Teag felt so crappy that he basically wanted to do nothing but lay around and sleep, Finn started deteriorating himself; his breathing becoming so labored that I worried I'd have to take him to an Instacare, and a friend Maisie hadn't played with in a long time called and invited her over. But I was determined to soldier on! I pulled out the gingerbread house and was going to do my best to facilitate the decorating by myself with the three youngest. Then what to my wondering eyes should appear? About seven billion tiny ants burrowing in and out of our pre-made ginger bread house. And throughout the supposedly sealed candy packets. At first I tried to get rid of them, knowing we weren't going to eat the house anyway. Then, when more just kept appearing, I gave up. Simply put, it just wasn't worth it. My Christmas Extravaganza having failed miserably, I put everything away and made dinner.
Later that night I ended up at my parents house on the way to the store. I told them all about my failed attempts at Christmas cheer, and they laughed out loud at my ant
The next day Finn and Teag were both feeling better, thankfully, and the kids were eager to try again to make something of our extravaganza. We were sitting down engrossed in the Polar Express when the doorbell rang, and there stood my dad, with a new gingerbread kit. Only this one was not a house, like our other one had been. This was a gingerbread MANOR. Major Upgrade. Needless to say, the kids wanted to dive right in.
My job was to be in charge of all frosting application, while the kids decided how to decorate. We had kept what candy wasn't infested from the last house, so we had plenty to decorate with.
As eager as Finn was to help, we felt it better to keep him on the far end of the table, where he kept himself entertained with the box.
Rory lost interest after a little while, and Finn's bedtime excluded him from the latter half, but we ended up with a pretty decent house by the time all was said and done.
So even though my parents initially laughed at my pain, they swooped in and saved the day later :). Honestly, it was pretty cool, and we had a great time together. Despite our somewhat mishap-riddled Christmas season, we 're doing our best to make the most of things. It would be nice if we could finally kick all this illness to the curb, but we're dealing with it while it's here.
As for you and yours, may all of your Christmases be Merry and insect free!
No comments:
Post a Comment