The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Salvaging the Tree Experience

After how poorly things turned out with the actual tree getting, Teag and I were eager to make the most of the tree decorating. Fate seemed to be against us, as every day after Teag's return was so full, we barely had time to accomplish the needs, let alone the fun stuff. But finally we managed to find a day when Teag could get all the lights up and working, and there was enough time left over to decorate before the kids bedtimes. Rory was especially eager, and would have done the entire tree by herself if I'd let her.
Maisie and Dany were just as excited, especially to see the ornaments that they'd made in the past, or the ones they have the fondest memories of.

Finn had no idea what was going on, and seemed baffled that there were "flowers" in our house. He did like having ready access to a new crop of toys ornaments to eat play with.
Until Dad stepped in and showed him how to hang them, anyway.
And then I followed behind and picked up and rehung everything they'd managed to knock off in the process.
The kids love this tradition, and I have such fond memories myself from when I was young. Our ornaments are bought during vacations, at the birth of each baby, a special family event, etc, so every one has an associated memory. It's fun to relive them, and be able to see the kids faces light up when they see something they'd forgotten.
And, if you're looking for a bright side, I think my dad picked out a better tree for us than we've ever picked for ourselves :). Merry Christmas!

No comments: