The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Laugh and a Song

Teag and I got to enjoy several fun shows in the month of December. When we learned Jim Gaffigan, one of our favorite comedians, was coming to SL on our anniversary, it seemed like fate! We got some really good seats, and got to attend with Kev and Meg too.
It was a great show, and a great time. By the way, that was number 17 for us. We're rapidly approaching an old, married couple.

A few weeks later, we had the opportunity to see Celtic Woman again, this time for their Christmas concert, backed by the Utah Symphony. I've wanted to see their Christmas concert for years, and we were thrilled to have this chance.
There was a lot of truly beautiful Christmas music, including a violin solo of What Child is This that made me forget to breathe until it was over. Of course, for some reason, that version isn't the version on their CD, and isn't available anywhere for purchase. I hope it becomes available soon, because it was stunningly beautiful. We also enjoyed the bagpiper who had a fellow kilt-clad gentleman stand up next to him at his wife's urging.
I think our only real complaint is that it seemed that whoever was in charge of mixing sound wasn't doing a particularly good job. Too often the soloists were drowned out by the symphony behind them, and several times we couldn't hear the Celtic Flutist, which is part of what creates their unique sound. It seemed to get a little better after intermission though.
Given that the show was only a few days before Christmas, it was a lovely way to set the tone. And now I can cross something off my bucket list.

No comments: