This year, the church came out with an initiative that asked people, and not just members, to Light the World.
It gave those who wished it an opportunity to serve others the way that Jesus did, 25 Days, 25 Ways. I remember how rushed and unspecial Christmas felt for both Teag and I last year, how it seemed we'd lost a bit of what made this time of year special, so we talked and decided to do the initiative to the best of our ability, and to involve our kids as well. I put it out to extended family, and we got together on December 1st for the official church kickoff: A Day of Service. We made food kits for needy kids, to be passed out at schools to those who wouldn't have food over the holiday. We got all the kids involved making the kits, pairing up older and younger cousins.
We ended up with a lot of food kits, and a lot of smiles.
Throughout the month, our family had opportunities to participate in all kinds of service oriented activities. Maisie donated some of her old glasses. We donated money to a Sub for Santa. We wrote encouraging notes to people. We also read scriptures as a family.
Visited with the kids Great Grandma's to take them some banana bread.
And even donated some more food to a local Food Bank drop off.
I didn't get pictures of every activity, but we talked about every days suggestion, and what we could do to honor it. I can't begin to say the difference it made in how I felt about the Christmas season this year. We talk about putting the Christ back in Christmas all the time, but by following in his footsteps, I felt as though he were truly more present in my thoughts throughout the month. And I think our kids felt it too. I am truly thankful for our Savior, and for our church leaders for creating an opportunity for us as a family to draw closer to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment