The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We Didn't Start the Fire

This past weekend, the extended Baylys were slotted to gather together at Blackhawk campground, on the backside of Mt. Nebo. Teag was once again supposed to pick up his boss's kids, so after packing me up on Friday morning, he and Dany took off for the airport while Maisie and I drove down to Provo to pick him up. We arrived at the campground sometime around 3 pm, and set up our gear with no problems. After a few hours of visiting, and campfire roasted hotdogs for dinner, Teag took off again, driving back down to the plane he'd parked in Provo. Two of my brothers-in-law, Treg and Tom, left about the same time in order to pick up Treg's son Jordan from scout camp. That left all the women, and Doug, Teag's dad. We visited for awhile, until Tristin showed up around 10 pm. Her husband, Kris, was home with their daughter who was sick.

The four of us girls, Tiff, Tris, Carolyn and I sat around a lantern (that's right, no campfire. Oh the irony!) chatting and waiting up for at least some of the menfolk to return. Around midnight, we heard some noises, and figured it was most likely Treg and Tom returning to camp. Carolyn and Tiff went to check it out, and came frantically running back shortly thereafter, informing us that there was a fire, and that we needed to evacuate, NOW. That was about all the information we got.

Needless to say, that got the adrenaline pumping. I'm proud to say I didn't freak out, even when I realized I had no car. In a fortunate coincidence, Tristin had her car seats, and we were able to get the girls squared away. We quickly gathered the basics - clothes, diaper bags, and some food, and left our tents, and other gear behind. And of course, with no men other than Doug around, what are the odds? We decided to meet up at Treg and Carolyn's house in Alpine, to establish that everyone was safe, and meet up with our spouses. As Tristin and I drove out of the canyon the fire was very visible on the mountainside, sweeping up the hill, and around the side of the mountain. I didn't have my camera, but this is very much what it looked like from our perspective. (Pictures courtesy of ksl.com)

I was able to reach Teag before he'd driven back from Provo, and he instead headed to Alpine like the rest of us. We didn't pull into the driveway until 2:30 am. Some brave souls decided to go home, but others spent the night spread throughout Treg's house. Dany wouldn't go back to sleep after I ripped her from her sleeping bag, and stayed awake for the whole hour and a half car ride, and well into the night/morning, finally falling asleep across Teag's neck around 5 am.

The next morning, we tried getting ahold of any authority who could tell us whether or not we could get into the canyon to retrieve our belongings. Teag and Treg finally just decided to drive up there, and call us with whatever they found out. Meanwhile, the ladies had a giant combined breakfast to feed all the hungry, irritable children.Carolyn looks punchy, Tristin looks tired, and notice I didn't include myself in the picture :)

Payson Canyon was closed until Sunday evening, but they allowed us to go up via Santaquin, and pack up our stuff. It was reported that 700 acres were burned in all. The fire wasn't even close to our campground, but it seemed as though they were mostly concerned about our exit being cut off by the fire. Apparently the whole thing was started by an exploding raccoon.

Alas, the only pictures we got from actual camping are of Dany enjoying a bowl of popcorn. Such a little monkey.









Obviously not the weekend we'd planned, and we're a little more worse for wear, but hey! It makes a great story! And the most important thing is that everyone is safe.

No comments: