Growing up for me, Thanksgiving wasn't much more than a precursor to Christmas. It's funny how wisdom and (hopefully) a little maturity can change your perspective on the things that matter. Over time that wisdom has helped me realize what's important about Thanksgiving, instead of seeing this holiday as simply a countdown to presents.
-I'm thankful for my family, originals and inlaws both. Their support of us in both good and bad times has taught me a lot about what it means to really 'be there' for someone.
-I'm thankful for a husband who's my best friend as well, who knows me almost better than I know myself, and who loves me despite that knowledge.
-I'm thankful for two amazing daughters who humble me on a regular basis with their unconditional shows of love, and their sweet, sweet spirits.
-I'm thankful for my cute little house. Despite all it's flaws, despite the fact that almost everything that can leak water leaks, I love it.
-I'm thankful for amazing food, and the fact that I have so many treats to tempt me.
-I'm thankful I have stories to tell, and for the pleasure I get from writing them down, creating new characters and new worlds, and discovering their fates as it comes.
-I'm thankful for golden afternoons that lend a storybook air to the outside world for a few short hours in the Fall.
-I'm thankful (mostly) for adversity, and the lessons we learn from it.
-I'm thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the comfort that knowledge lends, especially in times such as these.
-I'm thankful that I don't know everything.
-I'm thankful for friends that stick around. People who keep in touch even after job changes, state changes, and family changes.
I'm thankful for so much more than this, but these are the ones that have been on my mind lately. I'm thankful that I have so much to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment