The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Friday, January 7, 2011

Maisie Wins Big!

So Maisie loves to write stories. Every few weeks or so, she comes to us with a new story she's written. The topics are wide-ranging, usually with some fanciful elements, but always quite creative. So when she brought some information home about the school Reflections contest, I suggested she enter it. It took a little coaxing, (Maisie wasn't feeling too confident), but after awhile, she agreed to write one.

The resulting story was titled, "The Apple Flower Sisters." The idea blossomed in her head, no pun intended, when she took a spare carnation from a flower arrangement I was working on, and stuck it in the bottom of an apple. The story is about three sisters, Ruby, Gala, and Emerald (for Granny Smith apples, of course!) who are getting ready for the Lily Festival. Ruby has to give a speech at the festival, and is very nervous about it. Her sisters suggest she practice it for them first, and it helps build her confidence. That evening, she delivers her speech perfectly for the Queen, who then gives her the title of "Ruby the Brave".

We found out today by phone call that Maisie's story had won in her division for both her school and the Region. Her entry will now be moving on to the state level! Needless to say, we were very excited for her. The chairman of the reflections committee asked if Maisie would read her story at a little open house this evening, and when I broke the news after school, there was some definite mixed feelings. I could see her stressing out about it, and so I paralleled this experience with her character Ruby, and we had her practice her story beforehand, to get comfortable reading it out loud.

If I were a Queen, I would have bestowed her the title "Maisie the Brave", after she got up in front of a large crowd and read her story flawlessly. Such a little stud. Since we're terrible parents we forgot our camera, and had to make due with my not-so-great camera phone.
She was very excited about her blue ribbon for the win, but I think Teag and I were very proud of her both for her creativity and her willingness to put aside her fear. Congratulations Maisie, we love you!

1 comment:

creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...

Congrats little Maisie and proud parents. What an accomplishment. That is my favorite part of being a parent, is watching my children grow and develop.