The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Time Is Here!

Christmas this year felt a little more chaotic than in years past. I don't know if it was having a fourth child, or due to the fact that a few of our kids weren't feeling well, but by the end of the day both Teag and I felt run a little ragged. Even still, it was a great day, and the kids reactions to their presents were gratifyingly excited.

It all started the day before, with a Christmas Eve get together with the Bayly's. We enjoyed soup, bread, and treats, and spent some quiet time socializing while the kids played. Teag took a few pictures on his phone, but they never got downloaded.

Later that afternoon, once we'd returned home, the kids got an impromptu visit from Santa! He stopped by with a few extra prizes and treats, reminding the kids to be in bed early enough that he could drop off their presents later tonight. It was a lot of fun to see their reactions, and their total unexpected surprise at having Santa show up at their door.

Shortly after, all the kids donned their Christmas jammies, and we were on our way to the Rogers festivities. The kids performed the nativity again, and this time Maisie got to be Mary, with Finn starring as the baby Jesus.
There were also a couple of naughty little sheep :).
Dany was supposed to have participated also, but she wasn't feeling well at all. She spent most of the evening curled up on the couch looking miserable. After the nativity, the kids all performed a seriously adorable song that is unfortunately too long to post here. Then before we broke for treats, we quickly snapped a picture with all of the grandkids (15 now!) in their matching pj's.
So many babies!
We didn't linger too long, as it was getting late and we wanted the kids to get plenty of sleep. After we got home, it was straight to bed. Teag and I still had a few presents for each other to wrap, so we took turns with that while half-watching It's a Wonderful Life. Watching that movie on Christmas Eve is one of Teag's favorite traditions. Before we finally headed to bed, we snuck into Maisie's room and turned off her alarm in the hopes we'd get a little extra sleep. Turns out she doesn't need an alarm to wake her Christmas morning.
Teag has an old Fox in Socks book from when he was a kid, and Rory begs him to read it at least a few times a week, so she was ecstatic to get her own copy, and ran right over to place it on the bookshelf.
She also got a quiet book for church, doctor toys, and some Diego books, among other things.

Dany had asked for a kitchen, and I decided to resurrect a little Fisher Price sink and stove top that used to be mine when I was her age. I loved those toys, and hoped she would too. We also got her some dishes and food to go with it.
Maisie got some new headphones, a Harry Potter Wii game, and these Percy Jackson books, which she'd wanted from a book order and didn't know that I'd sneakily purchased.
I got lots of books and necklaces, and an iTunes GC. Guess I'll have to read now :).
Teag got some aviation books (his quintessential Christmas present), gloves to keep his hands warm when he's outside with airplanes, and an RC car that does tricks and flips. 
We'd given all the girls their own little RC car, and after I'd purchased them, I thought that maybe Teag would like to have his own when he was watching them play with theirs, so I ordered a different, more manly-sized car for his enjoyment.

Santa also brought the family a Just Dance Wii game. I'm sure he was hoping it would help burn off some extra energy in the winter months, when everyone is cooped up inside.

The girls were up much earlier than Finn, so we just let him sleep. When he finally did wake up, and after he'd eaten, the girls were happy to help him open all his presents.
Finn got a farm toy that will be really good for him to play with as he gets a little older, and a little more mobile. In the meantime, his sisters are putting it to good use.

 After a tasty Christmas breakfast, we got ready and headed back to the Rogers for some more present opening. I had to include this one last picture.
Not sure how many of you are Disney Channel watchers, but if you can't tell , it's a Ferb doll from the show Phineas and Ferb. So Finn has a Ferb now :).

Despite it's craziness, it really was a nice day. Steve and Katie got us Mario Kart for Christmas, so after we got home, we took turns playing each other for awhile, much to our kids delight. Then Teag and I watched Arthur Christmas which was a pretty good movie, even by adult standards. Our kids had fun, we spent a lot of time with family, and the season as a whole felt like a success.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments: