I tried to do something different for her birthday breakfast, so when she requested Eggs Benedict, the challenge was on. I did a lot of online research on how to make Hollandaise sauce and poached eggs. It looked tough for this very novice cook. I thought I would surely break the sauce; serving buttery scrambled eggs atop a sketchy, watery, rubbery hard-poached egg. To my endless surprise and delight, they turned out just right! Ree seemed pleased, so the mission was accomplished. Maisie gave her dining music with her breakfast, having figured out how to play Happy Birthday by herself. Finn helped, too.
Later that day, I sent her off to be pampered by a pedicure. Alas, the place was packed, and Ree was shuffled to the back and ignored. I was frustrated because she usually has a positive experience at that salon. Unfortunately, she had to wait for far too long, wasting a good portion of her day.
When she got home, I had a Big Al and sugar cookie from Swig waiting, hopefully cushioning the crappy salon experience. We then moved onto presents, with Finn's help once more. Unfortunately, one of her shirts was way too big, so Amazon let us down a bit.
Ree wanted to watch the latest Avengers movie, so we left City Creek and headed to the Gateway. We went for the full experience, selecting the 3D showing. The glasses were clunky and restricted peripheral vision such that we both felt like we had to turn our heads to look around the screen to see the full picture. It wasn't exciting 3D and just left us with headaches. Again, disappointing. I think we'll both have to re-watch that show, having missed the true experience due to our optical distractions.
Ree kept saying she had a good birthday, despite the disappointments. I was frustrated with the circumstances, but know she recognized the efforts of the family to give her a special day. We love you, Ree, and I still think you deserved better. Thank you for all your love and hard work for all of us! Hope to celebrate more successfully next year...
No comments:
Post a Comment