The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Tree Hunting!

This year I finally snapped a picture of us poor souls who got up at an unholy hour to go get the tree permits at Soldier Hollow, prior to the actual tree hunting.
Notice how puffy we all are, as multiple layers are required to withstand the ridiculous cold. A brisk 17 degrees this year! After we get our wristbands (the step before getting the actual permit), we go get breakfast. Check out this cool shot I snapped of the fog coming off Deer Creek Reservoir.
Tree permits can only be purchased one weekend of the year, usually in early November. Then we go get the actual tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Before I get to that, though, take a look at this pick of Dany going to town on a turkey leg.
The Baylys experienced a Thanksgiving miracle when Teag's trip to Woodward was abruptly cancelled on the taxiway. That meant no last minute rush, and a whole lot of hassle for our family, so we got to spend a great holiday together, and then a few days later, we were up in the mountains looking for THE TREE.
The snow wasn't as deep as last year, which was lovely, and we only hiked about a mile round trip this time. I know because I tracked us. We had no desire to have a repeat of last year. Natey came along with us, and we both managed to find a tree fairly close to each other. Teag had the forethought to bring some rope and a tarp, which made transporting it back much easier. While we were away, the kids spent their time testing out the new sled we bought with their cousins.
Meg had the idea to get a picture of all the Rogers siblings. I don't have many pics with just me and my brothers now that we're older, so I'm glad to have this one.
We then got one with the folks too.
And of course, we got one with my little family.
And even though we planned to head to lunch later, Finn couldn't wait for food and went to town on a bagel.
Once everyone had their trees and everything was secured, we went to a little diner in Oakley, made from a trolley car.
The food was a bit spendy, but I liked the kids liked having their own private juke boxes to make selections from.
Another fun year of tree hunting for the books!

No comments: