The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Vancouver

Teag had a trip to Vancouver in the Pilatus scheduled for the end of February, and as I've never been anywhere internationally, he asked if I could tag along. We couldn't make the babysitting work for me to be there the whole time, so I found a cheap commercial flight, and left the next afternoon. Kind of a bummer, because I ended up with a pretty significant flight delay that meant instead of arriving in Vancouver by 6:00 p.m., I didn't get there until 10:00. Better than being stuck in San Francisco though, which would have been the alternative. Anyway, we've had a couple of unexpected stresses come up in our lives, and the thought of getting away alone together sounded too lovely to pass up. The weather was downright chilly, so it wasn't exactly ideal outdoor weather, but we did what we could.
Our first morning we spent exploring Granville Island, including the huge public market, where we discovered a new fruit that is quite weird and delicious. It's called a Goldenberry, and looks like a yellow cherry tomato. Rather tart, but a fun new discovery.
We walked along the shoreline as well, where we saw some cool totem poles, and a sea plane base.
If you look in the middle on the left side, you can see a sea plane flying just above the water. Teag hopes that will be him one day. I think we both wanted to walk around more, but with the sun hiding behind the clouds, we were too cold for much walking. So we had dinner, and went and saw a movie, which is something we haven't been able to do for far too long.
The next day we went hiking through a forest that looked like it could have doubled for Endor. Although "hike" is a pretty loose term when there's barely any grade.
We ate fresh fish and chips in a little fishing village afterwards, and then headed back to our hotel, where the weather took a turn for the worse. What started as rain turned to snow, then back to rain. We decided to see another movie. Might as well take advantage of a kid-free night! Then we had an amazing and cozy dinner. I wanted to include this other pic, as it just seems so random. There were a few of these carvings outside a shop we passed often on our way to somewhere else.
This trip wouldn't have been possible without the help of our family. Nate and Elle took Finn for the lions share of the time we were gone, just adding him in with their boys. It seemed like he had a really great time, and we appreciated how willing they were to take him.
My Mom & Dad watched the girls, and I know I never have anything to worry about when they're with Grandma and Grandpa. I tried to text my mom to see how things were, and she told me she was too busy playing a game with them, and I was bugging her. So grateful for family who are willing to jump in and help with this sort of thing. It really means a lot. I also wanted to get this last picture included, as I realized we don't really have any pictures of Teag with the Pilatus. He's been flying it for years, but as he's the one who's always doing the flying, he's never got any pictures.
That's one handsome aviator, right there. I'm glad for the chance we had to get away, and I'm glad for the memories we're able to make as a couple. Sometimes life can be pretty sweet.

No comments: