The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Amazing Flying Cousins



Last Friday, Maisie and I picked up cousin Henry for a little flying adventure. I'm still racking hours in a multi-engine plane, and the weather was just begging for a flight. The only mission specs were to check out fall leaves, land at an airport that I've never been to before, and have fun! With full fuel tanks and everyone strapped in, we roared down the runway and headed up Parley's Canyon. Destination: exciting Duchesne and Roosevelt Utah.

The cousins loved pointing out the water they saw (Jordanelle, Deer Creek, Strawberry, Current Creek, Starvation). I was trying to point out the vibrant colors of the leaves, but with the dusting of the snow and our altitude, they were unimpressed. I snapped a few pics anyway. Our camera doesn't do it any justice.







Around Heber, however, Henry's excitement overcame him...



Maisie is usually a great little passenger, but she struggled with clearing her ears in the descents, and said, "the bumps are making my tummy feel funny". We made a quick landing in Duchesne, and I turned around on the runway to take off again. Henry stayed passed out in the back through it all. I asked Maisie if we could go to another airport before we went home, but she didn't think that was a good idea. We launched again for home instead of checking out Roosevelt.

Descending back into the valley for home, Henry popped awake again and seemed quite refreshed. It felt like a bit of a bust, as they appeared generally unimpressed, but when they were back on the ground they were excited and said they would love to go again. Kids!



Anyone else wanna go for a ride?

1 comment:

Meg Rogers said...

Teag, you are the man. Thanks so much for thinking of Henry and taking him up with you. He really is impressed, told us the other night that he is going to be a pilot when he grows up, but he is still going to live with us. Oh great. He said he is just going to switch out his toys for tools in his room. Have you seen the size of his room?? Thanks for being the "cool uncle" that is a pilot.