We were surprised when she went in for her Kindergarten checkup and didn't pass the simple vision test they administer there. She wasn't a squinter, and she hadn't complained of not being able to see things, but we had noticed a tendency of hers to stand close to the TV, especially if there were words to be read.
Shortly after school started, I made an appointment for her at the eye doctor, and Teag took her in to see just how bad things were. Turns out we surprised even the opthamologist. He told Teag he was shocked at how bad her vision was for how young she is, and he thinks it will most likely decline every year. Awesome.
So... anyway, Teag immediately took her to Costco, prescription in hand, where they debated over various frames until Maisie found a set of purple wire rims that she liked. Teag ordered them, and about ten days later, here is the result:
I think she looks pretty cute.
So far she's adjusted to them well, and has told us about all sorts of things she can see now with them. I must admit I was very concerned about turning over something so delicate and expensive to a five year old, but she's been very cautious and careful in the past five days she's had them. Teag had cautioned her not to hold them by the glass in order to avoid getting fingerprints on it, as well as some other tips for care. On the day we picked them up, she told me that her hair had been on her glasses, and asked if I could see any "hair prints".
Hopefully I've also passed her a few other, more useful genes as well. Poor kid didn't have a chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment