The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Friday, October 2, 2009

A Tree for Lucy


A little over five years ago, some friends of ours lost their baby girl, Lucy. She was born with a severe birth defect, and after only a few short months of life, passed from this world.

Teag and I went to see her at Primary's, and were struck by how sweet and amazingly wise those eyes were that looked back at us from the tiny hospital crib. I remember she had so much dark hair, and very long feet. We had brought Maisie with us, and she was only about five months at the time. We took turns staying in the waiting room with our healthy little girl, while the other went in to visit Lucy, struggling to breathe on her own, and covered with myriad tubes and wires. It was a very poignant moment for me.

I've thought about Lucy often in the past five years; would she and Maisie have been friends? Would we have arranged play-dates together, and watched them play dress up? I'd like to think so.

I've heard Sarah, her mother, speak often about how excellent the care was Lucy received at Primary's. In part to help with their grief, Sarah and her family started a tradition of designing fabulous trees for the Festival of Trees charity auction, in order to earn money for other families who couldn't afford that same level of care. In the past, they've received sponsorship to help offset the costs of decorating the tree, but this year the economy has made that sponsorship unavailable. Sarah has set up a blog dedicated to Lucy, telling her story, and requesting donations, and I urge you all to take the time to read it, even if you can't afford to contribute. Their story is amazing; touching, and heartfelt.

Posts are updated regularly, so check back often, and donate if you are able.

For Lucy.

A Tree For Lucy

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you for this, Kerri.

I have a baby gift for that new girl of yours that has been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks now. I'm sorry to be such a bad friend. We've had colds at our house, and most recently the flu (fantastic!). As soon as we are well, and the risk of passing along ANYTHING is gone, I will bring it over. I can't wait to see her. She's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I just went to Lucy's website and read her story. How inspiring this little girl is and especially Sarah for allowing us to share her story. Thanks for posting this so we can also be part of it. Dena