The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Valentine's Box Craziness

Maisie's 3rd grade class had a Valentine's Day party, and they were supposed to provide some sort of box/bag/collection device in which to put all their Valentine's. I remember doing this as a kid, as does Teag. We both spent hours creating boxes of varying creativity as kids, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this recently and thought maybe the tradition had died out. We told Maisie about some of our creations; me a boombox, Teag a toilet, and she wanted to do something cool for her box as well. We discussed an airplane, and a throne, and then Teag had the brilliant idea to do this:
Teag built the box, and then we copied Maisie's class picture and cut out all the kids faces. Everyone was represented, even her teacher as the bus driver. I think we spent something like 5-6 hours on this, way too much time for something she'll use only once, but we were having a lot of fun in the process. Maisie was very excited when she saw the completed project the next morning, and rushed off to school with it in tow.

When she got home that day she told us that all the kids in her class wanted to find their own faces on the bus, and that even kids in the older grades were asking to see it, and saying how cool it was. I think she felt pretty special, and that makes you feel good as a parent. We did set the bar pretty high though, so I'm not sure what we're going to do when two kids are needing a box in the same year!

No comments: