The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Girls Camp

Back in May, I was called to be a part of the Stake Girls Camp Committee. So the day after I got home from the Bayly camp out, I was up early in the morning and heading up to Heber Valley Girls Camp. My mom is actually a counselor in the Stake YW Pres. and so she spent the week up there with me, which was a lot of fun.
I was put in charge of a myriad of different things, like skits, a craft, gratitude boxes, spiritual thoughts, tuck in treats, and roll call cheers, to name a few.

AND taking pictures of everyone and everything. I spent tons of time just wandering around to different places trying to catch the girls in their element. Our theme this year was I STAND the movie, and as such, each ward chose a different movie to represent them.


It was great fun to see how they incorporated their theme into everything they did. My ward chose The Wizard of Oz, and put this little gem outside their cabin.
Seriously awesome. The Stake chose to do The Princess Bride, and I wrote the skit for our big "Movie Night". I'd post it here, but the video is very long, and I doubt any of you would think it was as funny as I do. Suffice it to say that I played Westley, aka the Man in Black, and that every time anyone saw me after that they greeted me with "As you wish!". It became quite the camp joke after awhile. That and another largely pregnant lady playing Fezzik the Giant :).

We even had a red carpet, where the girls could get their pictures taken, like at a premiere.
On Thursday, my mom and I taught a cooking workshop, where we instructed the girls how to make homemade spaghetti sauce, and how to use zucchini, carrots, and squash as noodles. It seemed to go over really well, even for the kids who didn't like veggies!

I was also in charge of teaching the "Cup Song" to the girls to perform for all the Priesthood who came up on Thursday night. It was pretty amazing to see all the cups in action at once! I'll never look a red Solo cup the same again! Here's a brief, seven second clip of how it looks.

We saw all kinds of wildlife up there, and it's pretty clear that they don't have much fear of people. Big groups of deer would get within ten feet of you and just hang out.
By the time camp was over, I was completely and utterly exhausted, but I had such a great time, and it was probably, hands down, the best calling I've ever had. I loved it up there with the girls. I'm not sure if my new calling will prohibit me from participating on the Stake level again, but I hope I can make it work somehow. It was a fabulous experience.

No comments: