Today we visited the Red Butte Botanical Gardens as an afternoon family activity. Neither Teag or I have ever been there and thought it might make for a different but interesting way to spend some time together. First up, we passed through the Herb, Medicinal, and Fragrance Gardens.
 |
| Hibiscus as large as Rory's head |
 |
| Water Celery |
The kids seemed interested in reading the descriptive tags at first, but the heat and the curiosity got to them, and they just started wandering from thing to thing without really studying any of them. I was amazed at how many bugs we saw; crazy amounts of bees hovering all over every bright flower.
 |
| Really not sure what this thing is. |
Their attention was more riveted when we got to the Children's Garden. There were all kinds of cool arrangements for them to play with and explore in, including little arbored paths in the shape of a snake.
 |
| Moose Bush |
 |
| Leapin' Lizards |
 |
| Hurray! |
It also include the snake fountain, which Finn had a lot of fun playing in.
After that we made our way to the pond, where we saw the biggest Koi I've ever seen. They're quite obviously used to being fed from the nearby dispenser, and made their way over to us the second we arrived.
 |
| See all those open mouths? |
I bought the girls each a handful, and they had a blast trying to get the food to the fish instead of the ducks.
It was a rather hot afternoon, and once we were done we had to make a Slurpee run, but I thought it was a kind of cool, atypical way for us to spend the afternoon.
It's not free to the public, but I recommend taking your family if you're looking for a different kind of activity to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment