The Bayleaves

The Bayleaves

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Shake & Bake

After some unforeseen circumstances, Tris and Kris called us Friday night and asked if we could pinch hit, and watch their kids for the night while they were were in Heber doing an event for Kris's job. So we were six plus Friday and most of Saturday, which was a real eye opener to how little our house is! Luckily, Avery doesn't care where her port-a-crib is placed, she's pretty easygoing.

Saturday we fed the kids Ramen for lunch because I realized I was out of bread. While they ate, I made the bread dough, and then brought it to the table where I proceeded to 'smack' the dough lumps against the table to shape them and work the air bubbles through. Maisie and Dany are both used to this, and Dany often says "Smack", as I throw the dough quite vigorously against the tabletop. Kolby looked at me like someone should be yelling at me for doing what I was doing, and Avery looked very concerned, until about the third dough ball, when she stared saying "Ack" along with Dany. Kolby, realizing I wasn't going to get in trouble, became very fascinated with the whole thing, and wanted to stick his fingers in the dough. Instead of having him poke my nicely formed loaves, I offered to let him and Maisie make their own bread. I whipped up another batch of dough, and they went to town! Here they are shaping their dough:
And here, they're getting ready to "Smack" it:
Look how proud they are! With only a little help from me, the dough ended up safely in the little bread pans:
And here's the end result. Not too shabby for a couple of monkeys:
Slightly misshapen, but quite tasty! And the kids had a great time both making and eating it, so as far as I'm concerned, Mission Accomplished!

2 comments:

Meg Rogers said...

What a good babysitter you are! Can we leave Henry with you for a week? Ha-ha! He and Maisie would kill each other after an entire week.

King Family said...

Love these pics! Can you email them to me? It will be good for Kolby to remember this experience because Mom doesn't bake and he will never get to do this again. Hee, hee